Preparing For Breast Augmentation Surgery
The weeks and days leading up to a breast augmentation surgery are quite stressful. If you plan ahead, you'll have fewer worries and an easier recovery period. Below, we list out some general pieces of advice for the window of time just before a breast augmentation surgery.
- Be sure to make travel arrangements with a friend or family member before the surgery. Set up a ride to and from the procedure. Try to find someone who is willing to stay at your side for a full day after the surgery has taken place. If you have young children, make arrangements for their supervision as well.
- Fill a bag with the items that you'll need on the day of your surgery. Bring all of your paperwork, identification and other necessities in a small pouch or bag that is easy to transport. Prepare it at least one day ahead of the surgery so that it is ready to go.
- Clean the house and do the laundry in the days leading up to the surgery so that you won't be bothered by these tasks when you are recovering.
- Most doctors mandate that the patient stop smoking before the procedure. Find out from your doctor as to how far ahead of the surgery you should stop smoking. Most also ask that you refrain from consuming alcohol within 24 hours of the procedure as well.
- Do not eat or drink anything during the morning or afternoon of the procedure.
- Make sure that you have filled your prescription medications. Put them in an easily accessible location so that you can take them at will after the surgery. Also, be sure to make your doctor aware of any medications that you take, including aspirin and other common painkillers as they can cause excessive bleeding if taken after the procedure.
- Be sure to find out from your physician as to when you'll be able to resume exercising and driving.
- Do not wear contact lenses, nail polish, piercings, hair accessories or jewelry on the day of the surgery.
- Be sure to wash your surgical sites with a high quality antimicrobial soap the morning before your operation. Refrain from applying deodorant, oils, creams, moisturizers and makeup on the day of the operation. You can brush your teeth but do not drink any water in the process. If your doctor has instructed you to take a medication on the day of the surgery, take it with just a single sip of water.
- On the day of the operation, wear baggy clothing that fits very loosely so that it can open in the front without a problem. Be sure to wear slip on style footwear that you can get in and out of quickly and easily.
Follow the tips above to transition into and out of your breast augmentation surgery in a seamless manner. The more you think about what your life will be like in the immediate aftermath of the surgery, the better prepared you will be. So, give it some thought and take action now to make your life easier in the future.