What not to do after Liposuction
Liposuction at Adore Plastic Surgery is one of the most requested body surgeries by patients. Although it is a simple procedure, it requires post-operative care to be successful. As a patient, you must maintain appropriate behavior to avoid increasing risks and ensure optimal results after the surgery.
Here are some tips on things you shouldn't do after liposuction:
- Avoid excessive movement during the first few days: The first care after liposuction requires rest. Avoid moving excessively; spend as much time as possible in bed or on the couch. During the following days, you will feel some discomfort, but it will disappear with time, and soon, you will move around very quickly.
- Do not attend your surgery unaccompanied: Ask a family member or someone you trust to go with you on the day of your surgery and to stay with you a couple of days after. This person will be in charge of taking you home since you will not be able to drive and help you during the first days after the procedure.
- Don't take medication that is not prescribed by your doctor: Some swelling is normal after liposuction, but you should avoid taking any medications unless directed by your doctor. Aspirins or any other medicine may increase the risk of bleeding in the first few days after the surgery. However, you may be prescribed antibiotics to avoid infection.
- Avoid intense physical activity: From the first month, you can start to do a little physical exercise such as walking. It helps you to burn calories, and also prevents the appearance of complications after surgery, such as possible clots.
- Keep the same diet before surgery: If after liposuction, the patient continues to eat as before, the fat will most likely appear in other parts of the body. It is necessary to maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
Fruit and vegetable should be the basis of the diet, and protein should come from fish or low-fat meat. Also, it is recommended that sugar, food with a high level of carbohydrates, and saturated fats should not be eaten. If they are, they should be taken with moderation.
Again we must emphasize that a healthy diet is not only necessary to prevent the appearance of fat. But it is also crucial to maintain the human body in perfect condition.
- Avoid exposure to the sun: It is important to be very careful with the sun's rays. After the surgery is very common to see some bruises in your body, it is advisable not to sunbathe to avoid pigmentation of the area of the incisions. After healing the areas where the incisions were made, it is very important to use a protective cream.
- Avoid dehydration: It is very important to stay hydrated all the time to speed up the recovery process. So you should drink plenty of water. Avoid alcohol from 48 hours before the procedure and throughout the recovery time. Also, during this period, you will not be able to smoke either.
- No hot showers: From the second day after the surgery, you can take showers avoiding excessively hot water. The showers must be at a warm temperature and of a short duration.
- Another common mistake is not to make proper use of the compression garment.: After liposuction, the patient must use a compression garment in the area that has been treated. These garments help to reduce recovery time and also pain. They must be used between two and four weeks, according to the doctor's indications.
Compression garments must be used with the right size. If it is too tight, it increases the risk of thrombosis, and if it is too loose, it will not hold efficiently. You may feel some dizziness from decompression when you first remove the garment. That's why you should be very careful when you take out the garments.
- Skip follow up: The doctor will make a post-operative appointment to check your process of healing and your body. You must attend each one of them because he is the one who will tell you if everything is going well and will tell you what to expect from that moment.
Your first consultation at Adore Plastic Surgery
If you have any doubts about what diet you must follow, the best thing to do is to go to a specialist to get the guidelines to eat healthily.
Liposuction is a procedure that costs money, and the best way to protect our investment and lead a healthy life is to follow these tips.
Are you ready for your surgery? Get in touch with us to book your appointment with any of our specialists by calling at (954) 546-7655